The following are the core beliefs of Calvary Baptist Church - IN based on the foundational truths taught in the bible. All of our teaching and ministry is rooted in and flows out of these biblical doctrines.
About the Bible
- God's unique revelation to people.
- It is the inspired, infallible Word of God, and the supreme and final authority on all matters upon which it teaches.
- No other writings have such divine authority.
- References: Psalms 119:9-11; 2 Timothy 3:16-17; 2 Peter 1:20
- There is only one God, Creator of heaven and earth.
- Exists eternally as three persons -- Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, each fully God yet each personally distinct from the other.
- References: Genesis 1:1-3; John 1:18; 14:15-17; 2 Corinthians 13:14
- All people are created in God's image and matter deeply to Him.
- Central to the message of the Bible is that God loves people, and invites them to live in connection with Himself and in community with each other.
- References: Genesis 1:26-27; Psalms 8:5-6; Acts 17:28
- Apart from Jesus Christ, all people are spiritually lost and, because of sin, deserve the judgment of God.
- However, God gives salvation and eternal life to anyone who trusts in Jesus Christ and in His sacrifice on their behalf.
- Salvation cannot be earned through personal goodness or human effort.
- Salvation is a gift that must be received by humble repentance and faith in Christ and His finished work on the cross.
- References: Genesis 3:1-7; Romans 3:23; Ephesians 2:1-9
- Jesus Christ, second Person of the Trinity, was born of the virgin Mary and lived a sinless human life.
- Jesus Christ willingly took upon Himself all of our sins, died and rose again bodily, and is at the right hand of the Father as our Advocate and Mediator.
- Some day, He will return to consummate history and to fulfill the eternal plan of God.
- References: Mark 8:27-29; John 8:51-59; 10:30-38; 20:26-29; Acts 2:36; Hebrews 4:15; 2 Peter 1:1
About the Holy Spirit
- The Holy Spirit, third Person of the Trinity, convicts the world of sin and draws people to Jesus Christ.
- He indwells all believers.
- He is available to instruct, guide, and empower followers of Jesus to lead Christ-like lives.
- He gives spiritual gifts with which to serve the church and reach out to a lost and needy world.
- References: Genesis 8:1; Psalms 104:29-30; Ezekiel 37:1-10; John 14; Acts 2; 1 Corinthians 12:4-7
- All believers are members of the body of Christ, the one true church universal.
- The local church is a community of believers who gather for worship, prayer, instruction, encouragement, mutual accountability with each other.
- In the church, believers invest time, energy, and resources to fulfill the Great Commission.
- References: John 17:20-21; 1 Corinthians 3:16-17; 12:1-31; Ephesians 2:19-22; 4:3-6; 1 Peter 2:9
About Baptism and Communion
- Our Lord Jesus Christ committed two ordinances to the church: Water Baptism and Communion.
- These are available to all believers, but should not be considered a requirement for salvation.
- References: Matthew 28:19-20; Romans 6:2-4; 1 Corinthians 10:14-17; 11:23-26
About Final Judgement
- Death seals the eternal destiny of each person.
- At the final judgment, unbelievers will be separated from God into condemnation.
- Believers will be received into God's loving presence and rewarded for their faithfulness to Him in this life.
- References: Romans 8:34-39; 1 Corinthians 15; Philippians 1:23; 2 Timothy 1:10; Revelation 21 & 22